Few salads are hearty enough to live up to “entrée” status, but this salad does just that. Loaded with crunchy, sweet vegetables, filling shrimp, and a zesty herb vinaigrette, it’s got enough flavor and bite to satisfy a strong appetite. Makes 4 servings.
½ cup salad oil
¼ cup vinegar
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
¼ teaspoon salt
1 ½ pounds asparagus, thick ends removed,
1 pound cooked shrimp, shelled and cleaned
1 slice fresh lemon
1 medium red bell pepper, sliced
¼ cup sliced green onion
2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
1 ounce grated Monterey Jack cheese
1) Combine everything in large mixing bowl or blender and mix until combined.
2) Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add asparagus and boil 2 minutes, until bright green. Drain and chop asparagus.
3) Place asparagus, shrimp, lemon, and prepared dressing in medium mixing bowl. Toss to combine and refrigerate.
4) Meanwhile, combine red pepper, green onion, and parsley in small mixing bowl.
5) To serve, drain shrimp mixture and arrange on plate with lettuce and cheese. Serve with bell pepper mixture atop shrimp and asparagus.
To enjoy the salad as a dinner entrée, complement it with a grain side dish, such as crusty garlic bread or lightly buttered noodles. Pair with a light white wine, especially if enjoying for lunch, such as Chablis or Sauvignon Blanc.